Fire extinguishers are considered first aid appliances. Operators must be trained in their classification and use.
When a fire is first detected, THINK SAFETY FIRST!
- Sound the alarm
- Immediately contact the local Fire Department by dialing 911 if possible.
- Provide any and all information requested.
Classification of types of fires and types of portable fire extinguishers:
- Class A fires involve ordinary materials such as paper, cloth wood, cardboard, foam, and other rubbish and debris.
- Use a Class A or Class ABC fire extinguisher on this type of fire.
- Class B fires involve flammable and combustible liquids such as fuels, paints, solvents, and grease.
- Use a Class B or Class ABC fire extinguisher!
- Do not use a Class A extinguisher on this type of fire. Possibility of spreading the flames.
- Class C fires are electrical fires.
- Use a Class C or Class ABC fire extinguisher on these types of fires.
- Do not use a Class A fire extinguisher on this type of fire. You must disconnect the power source to eliminate these types of fires.
- Class D fires involve flammable metals such as magnesium, potassium, and other flammable metals. Must utilize special extinguishing agents to extinguish these types of fires.
- Class A, Class B, or Class C fire extinguishers are not designed to extinguish these types of fires.
- Class ABC fire extinguishers are designed to be used on all classes of fires except Class D fires.
- Class BC fire extinguishers are designed to be used on flammable liquid and electrical fires only.
Follow these operating procedures if/when attempting to extinguish a fire utilizing a fire extinguisher listed above. Do not attempt to extinguish a fire if you are not trained and/or authorized to do so. PASS method of using fire extinguishers:
- PULL the retaining pin on the handle of the fire extinguisher. Stand back 8-10 feet from the fire.
- AIM the nozzle of the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
- SQUEEZE the handle of the extinguisher.
- SWEEP the extinguishing agent at the base of the fire.
Quality Service Contractors–An Enhanced Service Group of PHCC
180 S Washington St, Falls Church, VA 22046, USA
Phone: (800) 533-7694, Outside USA: (703) 237-8100, Fax: (703) 237-7442
Visit our website at: http://www.qsc-phcc.org